Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 29 Nov 2016
MEDECINS SANS FRONTIERES – OCBA (Operational Centre Barcelona Athens) is looking for a:
Gynaecology and Obstetric Referent-Advisor
(Position based in Barcelona)
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 4 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Medical Department.
The MSF Medical Department of the Operational Centre Barcelona-Athens (MSF-OCBA) is composed of two units: the technical advisor unit which is formed by referent advisors of different areas and specialties; the medical-operational unit which is formed of polyvalent Cells-based health advisors and mobile positions. The Medical director is in charge of the overall management of the department with the support of the heads of the three specialists’ teams and the head of the medical-operational unit detached to the Operations, and an Assistant.
MAIN OBJECTIVE OF THE POSITION
The successful applicant will be a referent advisor in technical and strategic Gynaecology-Obstetric matters for OCBA. Her/is mission will be to contribute through her/is expertise to the improvement of care provided to patients in MSF projects in this domain. S/he will be based in Barcelona and give support in this area to the polyvalent medical staff in the cells, the teams in the field and operations department in general at HQ level. S/he will be responding to the needs and requests of OCBA missions, in close coordination and team work with the Sexual & Reproductive health advisor (SRHA) and other referents of linked areas, with the responsibility to cover effectively all the technical support needed in the OCBA portfolio in this domain. The close coordination with other referent advisors will contribute to a more transversal, integrated and holistic support to the cells and the field.
The work will be carried out in the framework of the Strategic plan 2014-2017, the operational policy and OCBA annual plans as well as the Medical department plans. Her/is duty should always be framed on best international practices and standards.
PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANISATION
The Gynaecology-Obstetric referent advisor will be hierarchically and functionally accountable to the
to the Head of Referents – Team A (hospitals / secondary-tertiary health care), and works in close collaboration with the Head of Operational Unit, with the rest of medical referents of the medical department, and with the Op-Cell based Medical advisors.
While in the field, he/she works under the regular hierarchical and functional structures of the missions, while keeping communication with the Medical Department.
MAIN RESPONSABILITIES, FUNCTIONS AND TASKS
The successful applicant will be the referent advisor in Gynaecology-Obstetrics, being the medical focal point in regard to technical and strategic matters of this domain, in close collaboration and coordination with the Sexual & Reproductive and surgical advisor. Based in Barcelona, her/is main responsibility is to provide timely and effective support to the polyvalent medical staff in the cells and the teams in the field of Gynaecology-Obstetrics.
· S/he is the Gynaecology-Obstetrics advisor to field missions / cells polyvalent medical staff, concerning any technical problem / question that arise from the field while providing Gynaeco-Obstetric care services. The overall responsibility will be to contribute through his/her expertise to the improvement of care of patients in MSF projects in the domain of women and maternal health.
· S/he will remain updated on scientific knowledge and evidence published in her/is area of expertise to ensure a relevant support to the field.
· S/he provides support to enhance quality of care in the missions through protocols and guidance concerning technical program set up and clinical procedures, as well as through follow up visits. Participates in the follow up, monitoring & evaluation of the quality implementation of the Gyn/Obs component.
· S/he will work alongside a team of other referents, and other medical colleagues specialized in relevant fields for the women and maternal care. (i.e. HIV, laboratory, nutrition, malaria);
· With the SRHA s/he will explore new avenues for appropriate women’s health care projects, -in particular in relation to the surgical part of the area-, background research, designing and revision of guidelines, collaborating with operations in the implementation and adaptation of strategies and policies.
· Participation in discussions on design, development, implementation, review and modification of specific projects, together with the cell and other referents of the medical department.
· S/he contributes to the planning of Gynaecology-Obstetrics activities within MSF by participating in the SRH working group (SRHWG) discussion and meetings. Contributing to the “transversal” analysis of our projects and capitalizing on experience through strategic documents, technical recommendations and guidelines;
· S/he, with the SRHA and other colleagues of the Medical department, will develop a Gynaecology-Obstetrics package to contribute to the reduction of maternal mortality and morbidity, including emergencies with special focus on the surgical component;
· S/he will provide the fields missions / cells with adapted support according to the needs and requests, providing direct and immediate response or/and searching actively for the needed answers through research (literature review, seeking advice of specialist in the matter) to provide the best available solutions, based always in good practices and international standards;
· S/he will receive data and reports from the field regarding Gynaecology-Obstetrics activities, to contribute together with SRHA in its analysis, providing timely feedback to support the quality of care in MSF OCBA SRH and surgical programs and participate in its dissemination by preparing presentations in an adapted format (presentations in the field / HQ/external);
· S/he conducts field visits / supports when needed (including emergencies) / requesting and providing systematically a report, including program assessment and recommendations related to Gynaeco-Obstetric issues;
· Actively will participate in the planning and implementation of assessments and will be involved in the development of proposals for potential operational interventions;
· When visiting the field, s/he works close together with the mission team to identify together the areas to reinforce and improve, listening carefully to the concerns expressed by the field team, provide training and agree with them on a plan of action to improve with adapted and realistic recommendations.
· S/he will give follow up support directly or with the help of other technical advisors (i.e. SRH, Surgery, Anaesthesiology) to accompany and support closer the efforts of the team in the field, also as a way to better understand the challenges and adapt the technical advices accordingly.
· S/he will produce together with the SRHA, an annual report of their activities.
· Reports regularly to the line manager on the development of her/is activities, orally and in writing if requested. Gives regular updates to the rest of the medical department team.
· Briefing and debriefing of expat field workers to discuss and orient in main responsibilities, guidelines policies, data collection and reporting, together with other referents. Absorbs the concerns expressed by the colleagues coming from the field and makes effective use of the lessons learned proceeding to realize the necessary adjustments.
· In case there is a MIO in the domain, s/he will provide technical and functional support and coordinate with the MIO to make sure the support is provided timely and effectively.
· S/he contributes to the definition of priorities in operational research, suggests ideas and participates in the follow up and supervision of operational research activities in Gynaecology-Obstetrics.
· S/he will prepare presentations and participate in colloquiums and seminars on Gynaeco-Obstetric subjects
· Supports the HHRR department and the learning unit in the recruitment, matching and development of SRH – Gyn/Obs staff.
· Participate in the roster of Medical Guardia
· S/he follows actively, monitor and evaluate the service provided by telemedicine.
Medical department development and networking:
· As referent advisor of the Medical department, h/she participates in all activities organized by the Medical department, including weekly, monthly and process revision meetings, as in other ad hoc relevant reunions;
· S/he is participating and contributing to MSF OCBA medical department activities through providing proposals concerning the enhancement of the quality and relevance of Gynaeco-Obstetric services;
· Participates in the development of the plan of action of the department and contributes to review and update protocols, guidelines and policies in her/is field of expertise, including its preparation and dissemination in OCBA missions and in the MSF movement.
· S/he will promote together with SRHA, the development of SRH & Gynaeco-Obstetric programs within MSF OCBA, identifying key priorities issues which need to be invested in (operational research, key Gynaeco-Obstetric related questions);
· Informs and updates colleagues of the medical department on the evolution of the current Gynaeco-Obstetric issues on a regular basis.
· Keep a regular communication and exchange with the other technical advisors/cells/departments in order to contribute to enhanced transversal work and better support to the field.
· S/he participates in OCBA training initiatives and technical international meetings with the SRHWG when needed / required, contributing to the development of competences and skills of the MSF HHRR in her/is technical area.
· Collaborate when requested and approved by her/is line manager with specific dossiers with other departments and services (HHRR, Communication, Fundraising, Logistics, etc.).
· S/he liaises regularly with key relevant actors related to Gynaeco-Obstetrics (academics, researchers, institution developing programs or policies related to this field) to inform or get informed on recent / ongoing developments in and outside of MSF (programs, research, initiatives, introduction of new tools) and use those info to feed internal discussion on Gynaeco-Obstetrics and women health to promote innovation;
· Follow up and keep updated on the scientific literature in the women and maternal health domains that interest MSF OCBA (Cells med/ Field missions/ Med Dept.)
· Participate in the roster of Medical Guardia
Education, Experience and desired attributes
· Medical doctor-with certified speciality degree in Gynaecology-Obstetrics
· Education and /or experience in Public health will be a valuable asset.
· Very good general knowledge of Gynaecology-Obstetrics in different domains
· ALSO provider training and being instructor will be a valuable asset
· A minimum of 2 years programme experience in different MSF projects (different contexts) or with relevant medical organization working in low income countries and/or humanitarian settings
· Fluent in English and French. Knowledge of other languages (Spanish, Arabic, and Portuguese) is an asset.
· Knowledge in computer: Excel, Word and PowerPoint programmes.
· Willing to travel abroad, including conflict settings
· Training and communication skills highly appreciated.
· Ability to provide answers to required matters in a simple way, practical and adapted to MSF field conditions
· Commitment to MSF’s Principles
· Cross-cultural Awareness
· Behavioural Flexibility
· Analytical Thinking
· Strategic Vision
· Results and Quality Orientation
· Service Orientation
· Initiative and Innovation
· Teamwork and Cooperation
· Position based in Barcelona at the MSF headquarters office with regular field visits (estimated to up to 50% of time)
· Full time job.
· Minimum commitment with the post of 3 years
· Annual gross salary: 35,608.10 € (divided in 12 months payments) + secondary benefits, based on MSF OCBA reward policy
· Starting date: January 2016
 In January 2016 the Medical Referent Advisor positions are organized in 3 teams:
Team A: Hospital management (Head); Nursing care & Infection Prevention and Control; Gynecology-Obstetrics; Sexual & Reproductive Health; Surgery; Anesthesiology; Internal Medicine & Emergency care (adults); Pediatrics advisor (1)
Team B: Nutrition (Head) , Tropical & Neglected Diseases; Community mobilization & Health Promotion; HIV-AIDS & TB; Mental Health; Pediatrics (2); Emerging diseases referent; Malaria Community / Decentralized packages;
Team C: Laboratory-Diagnostics (Head); Pharmacy management & Product Selection; Pharmacy quality assurance & Prequalification of Suppliers; Epidemiology & HMIS; Learning / Knowledge Management; Vaccination & Outbreaks Referent
 Mobile implementer officer
 To take place every 4 months
How to apply:
To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “Gynaecology and Obstetric Referent-Advisor”** to: email@example.com.
Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
Closing date: November 29th, 2016
Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above mentioned position. /