Organization: International Maize and Wheat Improvement
Closing date: 30 Apr 2017
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT seeks a dynamic, innovative, self-motivated and service-oriented professional for the position of Head of Human Resources to work in the Human Resources Unit in the Corporate Services Program. The Head of Human Resources is responsible for leading all activities of the Human Resources function globally.
The selected candidate will be based at CIMMYT’s main campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Manage all functions led by the Human Resources Department and its Staff with direct responsibility over the activities of Organizational Development and Training, Recruitment and Mobility, Compensation and Benefits, Performance and Career Management, HR Information Systems, Payroll) as well as the management of Internationally Recruited Staff and Locally Recruited Staff globally.
- Acting as a service oriented HR Business partner, advise the Director General, members of the Management Committee, CIMMYT Country Representatives and other senior members of CIMMYT on all HR related matters.
- Contribute to other department’s projects and partner with the heads of other Corporate Services (Business Services, Finance, Legal, Communication) with the aim of adding value to CIMMYT’s operations and Research programs globally.
- Together with Legal and other stakeholders, ensure CIMMYT’s institutional HR policies are strictly implemented.
- Propose amendments to human resources policies and procedures and manage the implementation of these, with the aim of attracting, developing, protecting, motivating and retaining excellent Staff.
- Ensure ethical practices are applied within the HR Department, consistent with the CIMMYT’s strategy and values.
- Prepare and present human resources strategies and reports to the Executive Committee, Management Committee, Board of Trustees and/or other stakeholders.
- With the support of the Communication department, proactively propose and contribute to Internal communication initiatives.
- With the support of the ICT department, implement robust and reliable HRIS tools supporting the HR operations (HRM system, Performance management, career development, Payroll system, HR metrics and KPIs, etc.).
- Represent CIMMYT from time to time in international fora.
- Monitor the overall performance of the HR Department (team members, budget, assets, systems, etc.).
- Participate as an active member of the CIMMYT Management Committee, which is responsible for assisting the Director General in making strategic decisions.
- Other responsibilities or duties as may be assigned.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master degree in International HR Management, Law or related field of study (psychology, international trade, political sciences, business administration, etc.).
- Minimum of ten years of progressive experience in the management of human resources internationally, ideally gained in both the private and public sectors or Non For-Profit.
- Working knowledge of laws and regulations related to human resources in several legal systems.
Experience in operating in a matrix-style management internationally.
- Experience in the formulation and implementation of human resources strategic plans.
- Experience in the creation, amendment, implementation, and enforcement of Human Resource policies which are suitable for a diverse international organization.
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country.
- Ability to listen, to understand the needs, and to meet these needs.
- Ability to work in a multicultural team.
- Ability to motivate and manage staff.
- Excellent communication skills, orally and written, including the ability to make persuasive presentations.
- English and Spanish required. Other languages a plus.
- Knowledge of Dynamics HRM will be an advantage.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
How to apply:
Candidates must apply here for 16847 Head of Human Resources. Screening and follow up of received applications will begin on Thursday, 5th January 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.