Closing date: 22 Dec 2016
Chemonics seeks a chief of party for the anticipated five-year, $53 to $55 million USAID Reading Improvement for Development program in Honduras. The program aims to support the government of Honduras, in collaboration with other donors, civil society, and the private sector, in improving reading outcomes of Honduran students in Grades 1 to 6. The program will 1) strengthen the Ministry of Education’s capacity to implement evidence-based reading approaches in basic education; 2) improve school and classroom materials to enhance reading instruction; 3) improve capacity of teachers and key support personnel to provide quality reading instruction to students in Grades 1 to 6; and 4) strengthen parental and community participation leading to improved learning and reading achievement. The chief of party will make strategic decisions, provide technical and managerial oversight, and ensure the program's operational and technical integrity. This position will be based in Tegucigalpa. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Provide overall technical oversight and guidance to the program on learning and reading instruction
- Supervise the production of program-supported reading material, teaching methodology improvement and teacher training, teacher and classroom supervision and monitoring, and student-testing
- Ensure complementarity of activity approaches in reading across the USAID Mission Development Objectives and target areas
- Liaise with Honduran government representatives at various levels on technical matters
- Collaborate with other senior specialists to achieve expected results
- Master's degree in education required; focus on basic or primary education and/or early grade reading or learning and Ph.D. in education preferred
- Minimum 10 years of experience as an educator in areas related to teacher-training design and delivery required
- Experience in programs that work specifically to improve early-grade reading required
- Experience with the development of early-grade reading materials, training programs, classroom monitoring protocols, and tests and assessments required
- Proven knowledge of Honduras' education system capacity, strengths, needs, and challenges strongly preferred
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Professional fluency in written and spoken Spanish required; professional fluency in English preferred
How to apply:
Send an electronic submission of your CV and cover letter to HondurasRIDjobs@chemonics.com by December 22, 2016, with "Senior Reading Specialist" in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.