Organization: World Food Programme
Closing date: 28 Feb 2017
The United Nations World Food Programme (WFP) is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide.
WFP is seeking individuals with experience working in culturally sensitive, remote, and complex environments.
We are seeking to fill the position of Finance Officer at the P2 level based in Tegucigalpa, Honduras
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Under the general supervision and guidance of the Country Director, the Finance Officer will be responsible for the following key duties:
* Support corporate finance and resource management strategies and major ongoing programmatic initiatives, participating where appropriate using finance and resource management expertise.
* Contribute towards the development of country specific plans and processes, aligned with Regional and wider WFP strategy, policies and processes to meet the food assistance needs of beneficiaries within the Country.
* Analyse and report on key data for financial status and outcomes of projects in accordance with corporate governance requirements, ensuring accuracy, deadlines, and accounting processes are complied with.
* Perform bank reconciliations, disbursements, clearance of receivables, overall cash management and monthly financial closures on a regular basis in accordance with corporate requirements.
* Where necessary, deliver core administrative services, working with contractors and following standard processes to provide cost-effective, quality and timely services to WFP staff.
* Where necessary, undertake basic human resource functions related to staff benefits, recruitment of local staff, and training.
* Provide financial assessment of partners, service providers, and other entities as needed, and providing conclusions to management to enable them to make informed decisions and minimize financial risk to the organisation.
* Collate and analyse data for the preparation of accurate and timely reporting, in order to provide management with financial, accounting and budgetary information to enable them to make informed decisions.
* Oversee the provision of information on project requirements, pipeline, and resourcing surpluses and shortfalls to management, and provide expert advice on programme effectiveness and financial viability
* Track and analyse data to identify opportunities for improvements to policies, systems and procedures in order to minimise financial risks, improve the efficiency and effectiveness of operations, and ensure services are aligned with business objectives.
* Represent unit/CO at internal meetings, external meetings and events with other UN agencies, banks and other financial institutions, or other partners and entities as required.
* Advise and support Country Office on internal controls for segregation of duties and undertake periodic risk and internal control assessments to identify areas which may present potential audit, compliance or financial risks.
* Support country office in managing Cash Based Transfer risks through leading the financial sectorial assessment (Macro and Micro Financial Assessment) , active participation in Cash Based Working Group and collaborate formulation of risk mitigation actions with stakeholders within the Country Office, Regional Bureau and Headquarter
* Supervision of a team of finance staff, establishing priorities and work plans, monitoring progress, and providing coaching, training and guidance to ensure appropriate development and enable high performance.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
* Advanced University degree in Finance, Business Administration, Accounting, Economics or related fields, or First University degree in the same subject(s) with additional years of related work experience plus membership in an international recognised professional accountancy body such as Associated of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Institute of Certified Public Accounts (ICPA) or equivalent.
* At least three years of postgraduate progressively and solid professional experience in finance with great independence, decision making authority, implementing accounting and internal control processes and supervision of staff and managing complex budgets.
* Fluency in English and Spanish (both oral and written) is required
* Another official UN language (Chinese, French, Russian and Spanish) or Portuguese (one of WFP’s working languages) is an advantage.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
Technical Skills & Knowledge:
* In-depth knowledge of financial management and reporting;
* Training and/or experience utilising computers, including word processing, spreadsheet and other standard WFP software packages and systems, including SAP and other ERP systems;
* General knowledge of UN system policies, rules, regulations and procedures an asset
Ability to provide technical advice to managers on a broad range of financial, human resources and other administrative matters;Excellent written and oral communications skills;Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple tasks within tight timeline;Ability to develop and maintain effective work relationships with different stakeholders; * People management skills, with the ability to supervise and bring the best out of staff.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
The World Food Programme is the world's largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide.
In emergencies, we get food to where it is needed, saving the lives of victims of war, civil conflict and natural disasters. After the cause of an emergency has passed, we use food to help communities rebuild their shattered lives.
WFP is part of the United Nations system and is voluntarily funded. To learn more about WFP's operations, please visit our website at: http://www.wfp.org
How to apply: