Organization: US Fund for UNICEF
Closing date: 28 Nov 2016
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world's leading children's rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children's survival, protection and development. The world's largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
The Deputy Representative reports to the Honduras Representative for general supervision and direction. The DR supports the Representative on the overall management of the CO and for coordinating closely with the different program sections all phases of the Country Office Program from formulation to delivery of results in accordance with the UNICEF Strategic Plans, standards of performance and accountability framework, ethics and integrity.
Summary of key functions/accountabilities:
- CO program planning and development
- Support to the Representative on managing the CO
- Monitoring and quality control of programs
- Alliance building and UN System coordination
- Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
CO program planning and development
- Coordinate the planning and conduct of situation analysis by the program sectors in the CO to establish a comprehensive and current data and information for program development planning, management, monitoring and evaluation.
- Guide the various sectors throughout the process of program formulation, planning and preparation of the Country Program ensuring harmonization of approaches and alignment with the UNICEF Strategic Plan, corporate guidelines, policies/procedures and regional and national priorities. Provide technical and operational support throughout the process.
- Coordinate necessary technical programming support from PD/Regional Office.
- Review the Country Program recommendation before approval by the Representative to ensure the quality of the Country Program recommendation and alignment with the UNICEF Strategic plan, compliance with policies and procedures and that documentation materials are completed accurately and comprehensively to facilitate Executive Board review and approval.
Support to the Representative on managing the CO
- Serve as office in charge in the absence of the Representative.
- Monitor and assess programs and operations and provide advice on best and innovative programming and management practices to enhance programming and operations.
- Advise the Representative on CO annual work planning, setting priorities/targets and establishing performance measurements. Monitor implementation and progress of work plans; collaborate with colleagues to assist, advice and guide to ensure achievement of results according to targets and performance standards. Take timely decisions to achieve results and/or alert the Representative for timely action.
- Establish clear performance objectives, goals and timelines; and provide timely guidance to his/her team to enable them to perform their duties responsibly and efficiently. Plan and ensure timely performance planning, management and assessment.
- Work collaboratively with the Representative and the various sectors to facilitate/contribute to the preparation of CO budget proposal. Monitor critical issues to resolve problems and/or recommend to the Representative appropriate action to ensure appropriate and optimum use of resources.
Monitoring and quality control of programs
- Participate in meetings/events and annual/mid term reviews with government and other counterparts/stakeholders to contribute to strategic program discussions, planning and assessments.
- Evaluate overall program progress; identify weaknesses, bottlenecks and potential problems. Collaborate with the sectors and/or other partners and stakeholders to resolve issues and/or advise the Representative on resolutions to ensure delivery of results as planned and allocated.
- Monitor the optimum and appropriate use of program resources (financial, human, administrative and other assets) and verify compliance with organizational rules, regulations and procedures, donor commitments and standards of accountability and integrity. Approve disbursements and allocations in accordance with delegation of authority established by the Representative.
- Coordinate and/or provide advice on the preparation of mandated program and operational reports. Confirm accuracy of reports prior to approval by the Representative.
Alliance building and UN System coordination
- Represent the UNICEF Representative in the UN Country Team (UNCT) to collaborate with RC and UN system partners to strengthen UN system interagency coherence, collaboration, cooperation and harmonization of programming, common services and operations. Ensure organizational position, interests and priorities are fully considered and integrated in the UNDAF development planning and agenda/priority setting.
- Collaborate with inter-agency partners/colleagues on UNDAF (One) country development planning of programs/projects.
- Build and strengthen strategic partnerships with government institutions, national stakeholders and global partners/allies/donors/academia to advocate UNICEF goals to advance child’s right to survival, development and well being, mobilize resources, seek cooperation and establish alliances.
Innovation, knowledge management and capacity building
- Advice the Representative and other internal colleagues in the CO on the development and implementation of policies and procedures, use of latest information technology and introduction of innovation and best practices in the CO to ensure optimum efficiency and efficacy in programming and operations.
- Coordinate the collection, institutionalization and sharing of lessons learned to enhance performance and to use lessons learned in development/policy planning.
- Promote learning and development through planning and organization of training events, activities and other capacity building initiatives to enhance the competencies/productivity of staff members.
Impact of Results
The efficient and effective support of the DR to the successful development, planning and implementation of Country Program and achievement of concrete and sustainable results directly impact the establishment of a healthy and protective environment for the most marginalized and vulnerable women and children in the country, and this in turn contributes to maintaining/enhancing the credibility and ability of UNICEF to continue to provide program services to protect the rights of children, promote greater social equality to enable children to survive, develop and reach their full potential in society.
Competencies and level of proficiency required
•Diversity and inclusion
•Working with people (II)
•Drive for results (II)
•Formulating strategies/concepts (II)
•Relating and networking (II)
•Deciding and initiating action (II)
•Persuading and influencing (II)
•Leading and supervising (II)
An Advanced University Degree in social sciences, international relations, government and public relations, public or social policy, sociology, social or community development or other related fields, is required
A minimum of 8 years of professional development experience that combines technical and managerial leadership in development cooperation at the international level, some of which served in a developing countries is required. Relevant professional experience in any UN system agency or organization is an asset.
Oral and written fluency in English and Spanish is required. Knowledge of another official UN language or a local language is an asset.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply: