Organization: Project Concern International
Closing date: 31 Jan 2017
The Associate Technical Advisor, Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation position is based in Guatemala City, Guatemala**.** The position provides monitoring, learning, evaluation technical assistance to field office staff and programs in the Latin America and Caribbean region, including Guatemala, Nicaragua and Bolivia. Priority areas of focus include: providing on-site technical assistance and capacity building in monitoring, learning and evaluation (MLE) systems for ongoing projects, designing MLE systems and processes for new projects, ensuring consistent quality of MLE activities and deliverables. The position will be asked to network and liaise with other international PVO/NGO MLE professionals, donor organizations and others as appropriate in the Latin America region to strengthen PCI’s MLE and related efforts. This position reports directly to PCI’s Guatemala country director but will indirectly report to the headquarter director of MLE. The position will work closely with regional country directors and the director of the HQ MLE department to ensure effective responses to LAC region MLE needs.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:**
Provide MLE technical support to new and existing programs in the Latin American region (50%):
- Provide on-site and remote technical assistance in MLE system design and rollout for new programs in the LAC region
- Monitor implementation of MLE plans and provide technical assistance as needed.
- Support the coordination, design and implementation of project baseline, mid-term and final evaluations, including baseline assessments and research studies in the Latino America region.
- Provide supportive supervision, coaching and mentoring to local MLE counterparts in assigned countries.
- Support and contribute to the organizational initiative to ensure program quality and the application of strategies and methodologies to support greater quality and innovative programs.
- Provide technical assistance in Management Information System design and implementation, including mobile data collection.
- Network and liaise with other international PVO/NGO MLE professionals, donor organizations and others as appropriate in the Latin America region.
- Provide technical review and edit drafts and/or write sections of reports to donors in order to enhance the quality of reports.
- Maintain effective coordination and/or provision of technical assistance on reporting as needed for relevant programs.
Knowledge Management and Capacity Building (30%)
Support the MLE capacity building and program quality agenda for the LAC region.
Support the design and implementation of key studies to inform programmatic decision-making, project designs and institutional learning, and oversee research partnerships with universities.
Conduct regular staff workshops to facilitate the process of documenting lessons learned, challenges, and opportunities to improve field practice.
Support PCI LAC staff to identify and optimize the use of internal program data, technical strategies and existing best practices, lessons learned and research across key sectors.
Produce and disseminate high quality project case studies, success stories, best practices and lessons learned that are supported with an evidence-base, beneficiary testimonials, impact/comparative data and other relevant information.
Support the development of and relationship with national, municipal and local government counterparts, local and international universities, private sector entities, and community based organizations.
Provide support for preparation and submission of abstracts to priority conferences.
Provide support for the development of manuscripts for publication, including adaptation of conference or resource materials, and generation of original content.
Identify opportunities and provide support to share PCI’s MLE and other program best and promising practices with donors, other international PVO/NGOs and other relevant entities, with a focus on opportunities in the Latin America region.
Support the implementation of a global and organization-wide evaluation and results reporting system in LAC countries.
Support the development of new and/or expanded programs, including proposal preparation, program design and planning (20%):
- Assist in writing, developing, and/or reviewing project proposals and detailed implementation plans.
- Provide assistance on design of programs, projects, and studies, including writing, review and provision of feedback on selected program/project/study designs, survey methodology and findings; performance monitoring plans, evaluation methodology and findings.
How to apply:
- Advanced degree. Masters required in Public Health, Biological, Environmental, Social Welfare or Social Science, Agriculture and Nutrition with broad-based expertise in research design and operational methods.
- Two to four years of professional experience in research and MLE related to international development programs and sound experience in planning, programming and evaluation.
- Understanding and experience with program MLE with experience with a variety of US Government donors (i.e. USAID, USDA, PEPFAR, CDC) strongly preferred
- Demonstrated capacity to identify and facilitate access to financial, material, organizational (partnerships) and individual (consultants, interns, volunteers) resources both internally and externally for effective implementation of the MLE strategy
- International NGO work experience in project or program leadership
- Experience in integrated community development and civil society capacity building
- Familiarity with and sensitivity to gender issues
- Excellent computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite, including knowledge of common statistical software packages, health information technologies and software applications, relational database systems and web technologies
- Knowledge of quantitative and qualitative research techniques, including planning of studies, determining variables, selecting appropriate sampling methodologies, developing bibliographical and other sources of data, and preparation of research reports; general knowledge of statistical principles and procedures, including methods of collecting statistical data, simple correlation methods and sampling techniques.
- Experience working with data management and results reporting systems
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; for a variety of audiences
- Strong interpersonal, facilitation and coordination of team process skills
- Proven leadership skills and ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Experience working in Latin America required
- Spanish and English language capacity required
- Ability to travel internationally, including to remote and/or resource-limited areas (25-30%)
Job Location Guatemala City, Guatemala